1 Peter 4:8

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Year, New Ministry

Changes seem to come naturally with the coming of a new year, and this year will be the start of many changes and transitions for me here in Honduras. Some changes will be easy, and some will be difficult, but I am confident that they are all the will of the Lord and the plans that He has.

Because I have neglected to write blogs for quite some time, I will start from the beginning of the transitions that have transpired in these last months.

As you, or most of you, know, I was living and working alongside Zions Gate Ministries just outside of Tegucigalpa for the first 8 months of my time in Honduras. In November, the head of the ministry left Honduras to go on sabbatical in the states. While I recognized how beneficial this could be for the ministry in terms of growth and progress, I was beginning to feel that my ministry goals and visions no longer aligned with those of Zions Gate. I no longer felt at peace with the way my time was being spent knowing the Lord's calling for me to do street ministry. With the ministry head leaving, it was time to take on a great deal more responsibility and commit fully to the ministry and its future. Although the need was clear, I could not commit to something that I did not see in God's plan.

After vising the states at the beginning of December, I began to think more strongly and seriously about what leaving Zions Gate would mean for me and my ministry. With tremendous support from the Honduran Fellowship, I have decided to break off and start my own formal ministry working in the streets.

Some of the women of La Kennedy


While there are many changes in where I am living and the ministry in which I am under, my work will not be changing. My focus will continue to be in the streets working with women and young people. More than anything, I have seen that education brings hope and a future to those who have nothing else, and I will continue to move forward in the capacity that I am able in order to bring education, whether it is formal classroom teaching or informal vocational training.

Oscar enjoying birthday cake and Coca Cola at his birthday party
After working with 17-year-old Oscar in La Kennedy for several months, he is finally ready to begin school again. Because he will start again in 3rd grade, I had been tutoring him in math and reading comprehension as preparation. At the beginning of February he will start a dual program that will allow him to finish 3rd and 4th grade in the same year so that he can 'fast-track' the earlier years that he has missed. He is excited for this huge opportunity and is looking forward to advancing in school.  If you would be interested in supporting Oscar in this upcoming year, please let me know! With your help, you could bring him a new future.


My hope is that Oscar will be the first of many who will be able to restart their education and eventually finish school. Because of the gang influence and heavy use of drugs such as marijuana and paint thinner, many young people have only finished school up to 2nd or 3rd grade. With the right resources, personnel, and finances, it would be possible to oppose that norm and bring hope for a future to members of the new generation.

Aside from tutoring Oscar, I had also been doing a small Bible study of the gospel of John with the women of La Kennedy. Through the study, I was able to both disciple the women and build relationships with them. After much talk about their desires and hopes for their future, I had though strongly about how I could help them with vocational training rather than simply bringing food or resources, and God answered my prayers faithfully! Rayna Cohen, founder of Four Letter Word, visited Honduras in November and has committed to a partnership in order to work with these women. Together, we are researching possibilities and resources to train them so that they will eventually be able to become self-sufficient.

Within the past month, several of the women have moved out of La Kennedy and into a new colony, Los Profesores. I will continue to do ministry and serve in La Kennedy, but I will also be expanding my ministry to this new colony in order to continue to work with Karla and Ana Rosa. I am so excited about the new opportunity to do ministry in a different place and for the work of the Lord to be spread to a new area. Pray for this new branch of ministry, both for protection and provision.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "pans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
                      Jeremiah 29:11



Currently, I am residing in Ciudad Espana with the family of Luis, a young man I met at Zions Gate, until I can find a suitable house for myself. It is crowded and loud with 8 of us in a one-bedroom house, but it is wonderful to have a family and community. Initially I did not look at living here as a ministry in itself, but it most certainly is. Here I am able to spend time with each member of the family and have even spent time in the word with their abuelita (grandma). Outside of the house, there is a great need for help and service in the city. There are countless young people that are starting to experiment with drugs and the gang presence is not lost. Pray that the Lord will show me His plans in this new place so that His will may be done!

With many transitions and changes come many challenges. I am confident that the Lord is working and that His work will be seen.
Stay tuned for more updates on this new ministry and how it grows!


It is never too late to partner with me for the new year! Donations are always tax deductible and help support ministry in La Kennedy, Los Profesores, Ciudad Espana, education, family ministry, and my life here in Honduras.

To donate, visit
www.worldoutreach.org/donations and click my name from the drop-down box
or mail checks to
World Outreach Ministries (Jennifer Olsen)
P.O. Box B
Marietta GA 30061

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love hearing about how God is working in your life and leading you to work for His Kingdom, Jen! You are incredibly strong, brave, and wise to seek Christ in all you do and allow him to direct your steps. I miss you and am praying for you and everyone you are coming into contact with!

    ReplyDelete