1 Peter 4:8

Sunday, July 27, 2014

It is (Not) Too Late

This past week Molly and I went to Nicaragua so that I could renew my visa here in Honduras. Because Nicaragua is just a quick bus ride away, we were fortunate enough to be able to relax, walk on the beach, and stay in a beach-side hostel for 3 days/nights.
 Due to my slightly modified sleeping schedule from taking care of Alex, I woke up at or before 6:00 each morning. Unlike Honduras where the whole world and its loudest animals rise with the sun before 5:00, no one was up early in Nicaragua. In fact, I couldn't even get a cup of coffee before about 7:30 (tough, I know). Anyway, this meant that I was left to wander around the beach, sit in the hammocks, and have a lot of devotional time before the rest of the world woke up. One morning after my devotional and a walk out on the beach, I came back to find the owner of the hostel sitting outside enjoying his coffee (lucky guy gets it before anyone else there). 
He and I started to chat about how he got there, why I was there, where I was from, etc. When I mentioned that Molly and I live with a ministry in Tegucigalpa, he was astounded and confused about why anyone would voluntarily live there and put themselves in danger each day. We had a long talk about the gangs and their influence on the government, businesses, and communities. I told him about my 'job' doing the accounting, working with communities in the street, and taking care of Alex. After telling him a little bit about Alex's background and why it is necessary for me to care for him, this man said something I will never forget. A string of things, really. 
First, he looked me straight in the eyes and said, 
"He is 11 years old? Well, by then it is already too late. There is no sense in trying to help him at that point. The damage has already been done and can never be undone." 
I responded as kindly as possible to tell him that I believe God can undo any sort of damage, and I will continue to take care of Alex regardless of how difficult it can be at times.
With this he continued to talk about the gangs and the current pact that two of the gangs have in which they are not fighting each other. His insight on this? 
"If it were up to me, I would give them more guns, more access to heavy weapons, and invite them to a free-for-all. These people have already destroyed their lives and it is too late for them to make anything better for themselves. The world would be a better place without all of them."

But the beauty of the Lord is that it is not too late, especially for little Alex. I have seen just in the past two months a drastic change in his attitude, behavior, and overall well-being. In no way could I ever take credit for his progress, though. With 100% certainty I know that God is working through me and through Alex to change his life. I do not know how to raise an 11 year old kid who has been shot out of a life of gangs, drugs, and violence. Thankfully, God does, and for Him, it is never too late.

His words were so strong to me and they show very clearly how many people view street ministry and any sort of ministry to gang members, past or present. It is not worth it. It is too late. Their lives are not worth it. They cannot be changed.
Everything about this describes why I am choosing to commit to Alex, to the people in La Kennedy, and to Honduras. They are worth it. They are worth my love and my time. It is not too late for them to be saved. 

On Saturday we continued our commitment to the community of La Kennedy and went down for the afternoon. The week before I had asked Carla, a 21 year old woman, if she would want to do a devotional with me each weekend and she eagerly said yes. Yesterday, in the midst of empty bottles of paint thinner, broken glass, and strewn garbage, we had our first devotional. Carla and I were joined by Ana Rosa, another woman with two little girls, Maria, one of my teammates from last summer who is visiting, and Dania, a teenage girl who lives with us at the ministry. Together, we read through the first chapter of the gospel of John and talked about what it means for us.
Carla summed up her thoughts on the first chapter of John: 
"God loves each one of us just the same. Even though we have different skin, different houses, and different jobs, He loves all of us equally. No one is better or worse in His eyes, even us [the people living in the dump]. He says that we are all His children."

Carla's perception of God's attitude towards His children is spot on. Regardless of the place of birth, skin color, the amount of addictions, clothes, a house, and every other factor in our lives, God loves all of us the same. In His eyes, everyone is worth it because we are all the same. We are His children. And it is not too late.

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
    John 1:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment