1 Peter 4:8

Friday, May 9, 2014

Back on the Mission Field

Hello from Honduras!

After an overnight delay in El Salvador Monday night, I made it to Honduras Tuesday morning on the 29th. While the delay would normally have been another tedious travel annoyance, it turned out to be such a blessing! The airline gave each person (12 in all) dinner, a hotel room, breakfast, and a driver to/from the airport. I'm not sure I have ever stayed in such a nice hotel or had such an expansive buffet of food, especially at 10:00 at night. I was able to enjoy dinner and conversation with wonderful travel companions from Peru, Colombia, Honduras, and various parts of the US; God is good!

I was picked up from the airport by a missionary couple whose daughter has a children's home in Tegucigalpa, and they drove me out to Talanga, a city about an hour and a half north of the capital (Tegucigalpa). Currently, I am staying with Gracie and Lee Murphree and their ministry, The Heart of Christ, which focuses primarily on teenage girls who are victims of domestic rape or abuse. At any given time on the property there are three 3-4 year old boys, a 2 year old boy, two 1-2 year old baby girls, 2 teenage girls, a cook, 3 nannies, and Gracie and Lee. The past 10 days I have been working with the little ones and beginning to build relationships with the staff and the two teenage girls who live here. As always, I have made good friends with the woman who cooks for us and we have wonderful, long conversations over coffee in the afternoon. 

Much of my time has been spent relaxing and re-assimilating to third world life and all that it entails- primarily waking up at 5:30 am, bathing with cold bucket showers, and finding hand-sized spiders/cockroaches in our bedroom. I share an 'apartment' with a fellow missionary, Jessica, that is on the second floor of the main building. Thankfully, we get to retreat during the afternoons while the boys nap to have a few minutes of peace and quiet to ourselves.

Please continue to pray for me as I ease back in to life here in Honduras doing ministry. I will be posting very soon about new changes that are to come as well as April's financial update.

Thanks for checking in!


The neighbor's house

Driving through Tegucigalpa

Diego

The boys getting into their bunk bed

View from our 'apartment'



No comments:

Post a Comment